Monday, June 25, 2018

Flowers and fencing, Scooter's favorites

Annnd Scoots had to be in the photo too

Flowers aren’t that interesting as Scooter would tell you. I enjoy flowers but the poor farm pup is bored silly when he’s stuck on the yard with me doing menial jobs, like planting flowers. Clearly, it’s not as fun or exciting as going on gator rides and crop scouting.

As you can see below, Scoots had the time of his life when we went for a drive last night. All the scents on the wind to smell, a neighbor’s chocolate-colored dog to bark at and bugs to snap at. It was a good time for the farm pup, even if he had to ride in the back (because I took his spot).

Happy happy farm pup!
While I’m out in the garden randomly organizing flower groupings, hubs is out spraying. The one thing I’m very happy to not do. And the one thing the farm pup is not allowed to ride with. Ah well, Scoots stays busy chasing all the birds I try to entice to our yard with bird feeders and suet. Perhaps the birds like it because it adds a little excitement to their usual ‘chirp, swoop and dive’ day.

And the crop duster is spraying the canola field right now as I type. When I went for a quick photo, I missed the plane of course. He did buzz the house several times as he passed over. It always amazes me how low they can fly. And Scoots woke up enough to realize that something was going on, silly dog. Just kidding, I managed to snag a photo or two right before I posted this.

My view from the house as I wrote this post; spraying the canola
Once I was done with the flowers, there was some fencing to be done as well. Not fencing for the flowers, although that would be an excellent idea. It would keep my clumsy farm pup from trampling my newly planted flowers.

Not impressed with flower duty
If you remember the horse shed I’d mentioned a while back… these would go in conjunction with that. With the lovely ‘trade wars’ going and general price of steel we opted for treated wooden fence posts. Sturdy, economical, if a little unwieldly and time-consuming when sinking them into the ground. And it would be the hottest days when we did have time to do fencing. Hubs and a cousin sunk the giant railroad ties for the corner posts. 

Thank goodness for a post-hole auger and only have to auger by hand a few times! Hubs and I settled on a routine. He ran the auger and I had the lovely, not-dirty-or-sweaty-job-at-all of putting the post in, tamping the dirt back in and around and then, for good measure, tapping the post in with several good thumps of the sledge hammer. Those thumps really ring through the trees and echo off the bins. I’m sure we kept the neighbors entertained. Never was I so thrilled to be done. You can be sure I plunked myself down in front of the fan next to Scooter. (He had been banned to the house since he wouldn’t sit in the shade and relax; no, he had to attempt to sniff out the fox who moved in.) Next week I’ll post a photo and should have the wire strung by then. :)

Ahh, flowers and fencing. They obviously go together, hand in hand some would say. What’s next? Perhaps some apple trees. And maybe by fall, horses.
 
Supervisors. Working hard by the water cooler that's for sure.
May your week be sunny with a chance of rain, iced coffee in hand and living the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sending the H-F.W a message! I appreciate the time and thought to do so and will reply as promptly as possible.