Monday, February 12, 2018

Cacti, olives and galahs


Galah birds @hyphenatedfarmerswife
Galah birds

Yesterday I saw some of the prettiest sun dogs I have ever seen in my life. I posted a photo of it over on Insta and Facebook. It makes me wonder if they ever see sun dogs in Australia? I would guess not, as I doubt it gets cold enough.

After the springs and Sailor Falls we headed more inland, to the more predominantly farmland area. Hubs knew people from a previous (he had a working visa) visit. Prior to our arriving in Australia we had emailed, texted via Whatsapp or Skype phone called his old bosses and friends. They kindly welcomed us to stay with them when we visited.

As we drove, the hills flattened out a bit with the occasional hill reaching out above to the heavens. It was fascinating to see perfectly harvested fields with the occasional swath cut around the trees in the field. Apparently it was illegal to cut down the trees. Even dead (upright) trees remained in the fields almost like a tribute to time gone by. That’s what they looked like with their bark faded to an ethereal silver while still standing proud and tall. 

Tarrengower lookout tower stairs @hyphenatedfarmerswife
Last, steep climb to a deck with a view
We took a few tangents off the highway to explore as we went north into the sun. A sign for Mt. Tarrengower Lookout tower by Maldon piqued our curiosity. It was also a good excuse to stop and stretch our legs. Driving up the winding road to the lookout tower we saw no one else visiting the lookout. As we climbed the stairs to the uppermost deck I thought I was hearing voices. It was really eerie. I distinctly heard a report of no fires being sighted. I tell hubs and the rascal had the gall to chuckle! He points over the railing on the opposite side of the tower. I go look and oh, there’s a ute parked there. Somehow I hadn’t seen that when we drove. Right. Past. It. It was a blonde moment, I’m telling you. The voices belonged to the current shift of fire watch. Ah ha, got it. The tower is worth a visit as the view is incredible.

Tarrengower lookout tower view @hyphenatedfarmerswife
View from the lookout tower
Driving the scenic countryside we had viewed from the lookout tower I was mildly surprised to see all the cacti cropping up in pastures or field fence lines. Tourist that I am, I didn’t expect to see so much cacti considering we were still a good two hours from the outback (as hubs informed me).
Shortly after arriving at the farm of hubs friend/former boss he took us for a driving tour. He took us by ‘small’ fields of 160 acres (and larger ones too). Unfortunately for hub’s hopes of seeing combines in action, they had finished harvest the day before.

hill covered in cacti @hyphenatedfarmerswife
Hill covered in cacti
It was a great tour and having the opportunity to learn first-hand about farming here. An interesting fact I learned was that they spray during summer (no crops are growing) to keep the weeds down and preserve moisture levels in the soil. It shows how different farming can be as you traverse the world, I find it enthralling. (Can you tell I love learning?)

Mature olive trees
Next door to some of their fields are olive fields. I knew that olives grew on trees but seeing it up close is so much better. The trees were planted perfectly so that no matter what direction you looked they lined up as far as the eye could see.
Young olive trees

Ready for new trees
Some of the fields had been ripped up, prepped and ready for planting the next generation. Seeing fields in each of those stages showed a picture book-like story of the hard work that goes into orchard/grove farming. Especially having to work around the drip lines, removing them at some point in the clearing process.
Green olives, to be harvested end of March, April
Galahs, colorful birds in the cockatoo family that had a nice call too, took up residence in one of the large trees outside of the home of our hosts. Pretty birds and larger than I had thought they would be. This was a bird encounter that was more pleasant than having to listen to the corellas. Corellas were noisy birds that wouldn’t stop ‘talking’ that we had encountered early on in our Australia adventures.

May your week cozy warm (it’s chilly outside!), bright and chipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sending the H-F.W a message! I appreciate the time and thought to do so and will reply as promptly as possible.